The three things that stood out most for the boys were boating, building a tree house, and spending time with their cousins. They were able to spend a lot of quality time with loved ones, which is why going to Colorado is so important to us.
While in Colorado, Owen got to participate in a week long soccer camp, which he adored. He has a lot of passion for the sport, and we are happy to foster it. Then we went to a hot spring with some good friends for some quality no cell service time. We also got to go to a few Sky Sox games to enjoy some low key baseball. The boys each got a foul ball!
Ok. So maybe our Colorado Summer wasn't as mellow as I thought...
Now back to Abu Dhabi for our third year!
On our way to Colorado this summer, we decided to spend a few weeks touring around England. We started off with four days in London and spent a total of 17 glorious days exploring our way up to Edinburgh, hitting Portsmouth, Stonehenge, Bath, York and the Lake District on our way north.
As usual, we took hundreds of pictures. If you'd like to see some of them and read more about this trip, the blog entries are on the Great Britain 2017 page.
After the school year ended and friends started to depart, we decided to go to our second annual Iftar Buffet as it is still Ramadan. We went to the Ritz Carlton by the Grand Mosque this year, and it was incredible. We all ate so much delicious food. Owen even said he was full!!!
After an eventful year in Abu Dhabi, we are ready to visit our home state of Colorado. We haven't been "home" in 18 months, so it'll be fun to see how much things have changed in that time. Before we get to Colorado though, we are going to spend a couple weeks exploring the United Kingdom! I am very excited to see London for the first time. We'll make it up to Scotland, but we've decided to save Ireland for another time. Hopefully we will have a jolly good time!
He rode his own bike through the streets of Paris, drove a boat through the canals of Amsterdam, taken a sleeper train from Munich to Amsterdam, kayaked in Croatia, picked strawberries in Bavaria, ran around on an ancient chariot track in Rome, went to the top of the world's tallest building in Dubai, and zip-lined while camping in the desert of Abu Dhabi. He has been on trains, planes, boats, bikes, cars, and buses. And through it all, he remains one of the most kind-hearted, empathetic people I have ever met. He even used some of his birthday money to buy something for his little brother because Oliver was feeling left out.
Owen has developed more and more of a sense of humor this last year. He has a pretty good grasp on sarcasm now, which is beneficial in a home where both parents are high school teachers. He makes puns on a regular basis now and laughs and more and more of Derek's "dad" jokes. Owen has a great smile, and we are lucky that he shows it off so willingly.
Derek and I are incredibly proud of the young man Owen is becoming. He is a great big brother and a wonderful son. We are all so lucky to have him in our lives.
1. How old are you? Eight
2. What is your favorite color? Blue.
3. What do you want to be when you grow up? A policeman and soccer player.
4. What is your favorite thing about school? Math.
5. What do you like best about Mom? That she cuddles me a lot.
6. What do you like best about Dad? That he cuddles me a lot.
7. What is something you are really good at? Legos and soccer.
8. What is your favorite animal? Meerkats.
9. What was the best thing you did when you were seven? I joined Thistle.
10. What is your favorite show? Star Wars
11. Where is your favorite place to go on vacation? Europe
12. Which has been your favorite vacation we've taken? This summer break in Europe.
13. Who do you look up to? My family.
14. What is something you want to learn before you turn nine? How a computer works.
15. If you could have any wish, what would it be? To live in some place that has snow.
16. What is your favorite food? Quesadilla
17. What do you like to do at recess? Play soccer
18. What is your favorite sport? Soccer
19. What are your favorite teams? Packers, Rockies, Broncos
20. What is your favorite vegetable? Carrot Least favorite? Artichoke
21. What is your favorite holiday? Christmas
22. If you could visit any place in the world, where would you like to go? Europe. I just want to travel around in Europe more.
23. If you had $1 million dollars, what would you do with it? Give it to poor people.